Canadian Standards Association (CSA)
The CSA developed and released one of the furthest reaching standards relating to the management of surgical plume.
- CSA Z305.13-13 Plume Scavenging In Surgical, Diagnostic, Therapeutic, and Aesthetic Settings
- This standard details a comprehensive approach to managing plume and extends its mandates to all surgical settings based on risk assessment. General requirements include:
- Facility policies and procedures shall be written in accordance with (IAW) this Standard
- Plume shall be evacuated IAW this standard
- If a facility employs techniques that create plume, they shall have policies that address the potential hazards